Menu   List of Essay Topics   Search categories   Popular topics   Học Tiếng Việt qua các bài hát   Help
Use the 'Google Custom Search' below to Search for the essay you want.
Essays search engine Hãy sử dụng công cụ tìm kiếm bên trên để tìm kiếm bài luận tiếng anh bạn muốn tìm!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I choose a career

I choose a career

Soon I will be joining the hundreds of school leavers to enter the world of the adults. Childhood seems to have lasted such a short time and I wish that it could last longer, but it cannot be.

The next phase of my life will require that I choose a career, or at least some kind of employment so that I can become a useful member of society. This presents some difficulties.

I am not inclined towards any career in particular. Some of my friends know exactly what they want to do in the future, but most of us do not. I actually have no idea what sort of job I would like to do. Any job seems all right to me. However I have to consider my parents and I try not to displease them.

It is their wish that I become a doctor, or a lawyer at the least. I suppose those are the dreams of most parents. A doctor or a lawyer is highly respected and makes lots of money. So they are the aspirations of many young people. I have to be realistic though. I cannot become a doctor because I am not in science class. So becoming a doctor is out of the question. I could study to become a lawyer, but I have absolutely no interest in law. So becoming a lawyer seems remote too.

What else could I do? I have to list the possibilities down: teacher, banker, businessman, soldier, policeman, politician, artist, writer, journalist, sailor, interior decorator, farmer, race-driver – the list seems endless. Unfortunately the hippies seem to have faded from the scene. It would be an experience if I could join them for a year or two. That would make my father’s blood pressure shoot up for sure. Come to think of it, my father grew up during the time when the hippies were a rage, so he might not mind.

Anyway hippies and bumming around are definitely not suitable. I have to earn some money in order to live.

If narrow down the list I find that the greatest possibilities lie in journalism, writing or being a commercial artist. These three thins are what I would not mind doing for a living. The other professions contain too many things I do not like. So unless I have no choice, I probably would not do them.

To become a writer or an artist means that I will have to take up a course for these things. I will have to start finding out what sort of courses are available locally. I definitely cannot go overseas to do them. My parents will not be able to afford it. So immediately after leaving school, I will have to make efforts to see whether these possibilities can be realized. If not then I will have to look for other possibilities.

Anyhow I feel better now after having some idea of what I can do in the future. It is still not definite what career I will take up. At least I know where to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment